Rioles Law Offices
local 401.680.9686
toll-free 800.836.8278

How can I get more visitation time with my children?

The time spent with your children is likely to be the highlight of your day or week if you are a divorced parent. Unfortunately, many parents are not able to see their children as often as they would like. They may only be able to see their child on certain days or on alternate weekends, for example. This can be very distressing for both the parent and child, and it can also be detrimental to the bond that they share.

If you would like to modify the child custody agreement that is in place between you and your co-parent so that you can spend more time with your children, you must understand how the process is started. Following are some key things that you should know:

You must be able to demonstrate a change in circumstances.

If the situation is exactly the same as when the initial child custody agreement was created, the courts will see no reason for it to be modified. Therefore, you must be able to show that a change of circumstances has taken place. For example, you may have moved closer to your co-parent's home.

You should try to communicate with the other parent first.

While going through the courts may be an effective way to get a modification, you should try to have a mature conversation with your co-parent before doing so. You may be able to agree on a modification together, which will save time and facilitate a more collaborative process.

Being involved in your child's upbringing is important. By showing that spending more time with your child will be in their best interests, you are likely to be successful.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us Today


Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Rioles Law Offices
426 Broadway
Providence, RI 02909

Toll Free: 800-836-8278
Phone: 401-680-9686
Providence Law Office Map