Whether you recently lost your job or are struggling to pay child support for any other reason, sometimes a modification is in order. However, not all modifications are immediately accepted. Learning what to do when confronted with a rejection for a change in the amount you pay can help you plan what to do next. 


According to the Rhode Island Office of Child Support Services, modifying a child support order can come from either parent. If the court rejects your request, you will get a letter in the mail that details the specific reasons why. In the state of Rhode Island, at least three years must pass between each regular review of your custody amount. The only exception is a substantial change in circumstances that would not allow you to continue paying the support as usual. 

If you still want a court hearing, you may legally file independently outside the Office of Child Support Services as a self-represented litigant. Showing up to your scheduled court date is imperative, since the judge may not hear your motion if you or your ex-spouse fail to show up. 

Temporary changes

If a permanent change is not available, a temporary change may be. Temporary modifications occur when you need to pay for an expensive item that will not be a continual financial burden. This change allows non-custodial parents to file a motion for a change in child support amount. 

If one parent does not agree with the new amount, it may be a roadblock for both of you. Communicating clearly with each other about your goals and needs can help facilitate any modifications you need.