Several months ago, you agreed to pay a certain amount of child support. But your income isn’t going to stay the same forever. If you’ve experienced a sudden downturn in wages, you can’t be expected to pay the same amount and have enough to cover your other bills. How can you protect yourself while still providing for your child?

When you should request a child support modification

When it comes to matters of child custody and support, you’ll almost always have to go through the legal system. Additionally, most judges place a limit on how often you can ask for a child support modification. For this reason, you shouldn’t ask for one unless you’re sure that you really need it. Are your wages going to be low for the next year, or is this just a temporary downturn? If you request a modification now, you might not be able to do it a year later when you’re unemployed.

However, if you’re dealing with a long-term decrease in wages, it might be time to apply for a child support modification. You can present your case to the judge and show evidence that your wages have decreased and you can’t meet the current payment. If your request is accepted, the amount of child support you have to pay will be adjusted. Just make sure that you continue paying the full amount of child support during this time–if you don’t, you might look like an uncooperative parent.

The benefits of hiring an attorney

Having the assistance of a family law attorney may increase your chances of successfully getting a modification. An attorney may offer advice that helps you build the best possible case.