Know Your Rights Regarding Parental Relocation

Divorce often results in an avalanche of life changes, including job changes and/or the desire to move to a different city or state. Relocation is challenging when minor children are involved. It is critical to receive court approval – even if both parents agree to terms of the move. Failure to do so could result in charges of parental kidnapping and/or loss of custodial rights.

At Rioles Law Offices in Providence, attorney Brenda F. Rioles fully understands the laws surrounding child custody modifications for the purpose of parental relocation. She helps parents present or defend against a request to relocate.

If you plan to seek court approval to relocate, it is critical to contact a lawyer well in advance. The Rhode Island court system is not set up to produce quick results in this area. Relocation efforts can take a year or more if the parties become involved in contested litigation.

Your Lawyer’s Experience Is Critical In Relocation Matters

Rhode Island courts will approve relocating with a child only if it is in the child’s best interest. What, exactly, does that mean? If asked to resolve a dispute regarding a request to relocate with a child, the court will review a number of factors, including:

  • A parent’s reasons for either petitioning for or objecting to the move
  • The likelihood of financial enhancement for the child and the relocating parent
  • Emotional benefits and educational opportunities the move will provide to both the parent and the child
  • The child’s physical, emotional and educational development and special needs issues
  • Extended family and other types of support for the child in each location

Schedule A Consultation

Providence parental relocation attorney Brenda Rioles has more than 30 years of family law experience. She has successfully represented numerous parents in relocation disputes. She welcomes the opportunity to review the facts of your case and recommend the best course of action. Contact Rioles Law Offices to schedule an appointment.