Once your divorce has been finalized, you’ll probably feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Now that all the divorce agreements have been put into place, you can look forward to a fresh start. However, if your ex is not paying you the alimony payments that they were ordered to, this dream of a fresh start may quickly turn into a nightmare.

You must hold your ex to justice as soon as they start failing to comply with an alimony order. There are several ways that you may be able to successfully gain the alimony that you are entitled to.

Being held to contempt of court

If your ex-spouse continues to refuse to pay alimony even if you have informally requested that they do so, you can have them charged with being in contempt of court. They will then be ordered to pay the owed alimony in addition to the court costs associated with the case. It is even possible to face jail time as a result of being in contempt of court.

Collecting alimony through wage garnishment

If the alimony remains unpaid, it can be possible to have your ex-spouse’s wages garnished so that you get the funds that you deserve. Wage garnishment occurs when the alimony owed is taken directly out of your ex-spouse’s salary before they have access to it. This can only be done in certain situations, and there are limits to the amount that can be deducted from any single paycheck.

If you are worried about your financial future because of your ex-spouse’s failure to pay the alimony you are owed, you should waste no time in taking the appropriate action.